Get to know our Esports drivers: Thijmen Schütte
One of the new generation of talents making their way through the world of esports is Dutchman Thjimen Schütte, who will be making his F1 Esports debut in 2021. At only 17, he will contribute to a youthful and skilled squad, bringing his experience from the F1 Challengers series with him.
As the youngest signing ever in the history of the team, here’s your chance to learn a little more about him…
Name: Thijmen Schütte
Hobbies: Karting and Simracing
1. What’s your biggest goal in this series?
To get good results for Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN F1 Esports and help the team end up in the best position possible.
2. When did you first get into racing?
I have grown up with racing. My dad always followed F1 and, from 2016 onwards, I really started to follow it myself. I was watching the races and I thought: ‘I want to do the same’. So I bought F1 2016, the game, on the PS4 for fun. At that time I was playing it for fun and not competitively. I got into my first league in F1 2018, F1Total league and I enjoyed it very much. In F1 2019 I began to play competitively so I signed up for AOR and got placed in AOR F2. After the season in AOR F2 ended, I signed up for PSGL. I got placed in PSGL F1. From that point onwards it just got better and better.
3. How does it feel to be part of the Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN F1 Esports team?
It is a pleasure to be part of such a great team with a lot of history. It is really cool to be working with great people within the team. A truly special feeling!
4. What’s the most important thing you’ve learnt so far in racing?
Never give up. I learned in all the years that I have been playing F1 that the race is not lost when you, for example, lose positions at the start or if you crash and you are last. There could always be a Safety Car and you are back up in the field. It is a marathon, not a sprint race.
5. Who has been your biggest competitor so far?
My biggest competitor on PS4 was Matthijs van Erven (CRG_Matthijs). It is always close between me and Matthijs. My biggest competitor on PC is Jarno Opmeer. He is the F1 Esports 2020 Champion so he is definitely my biggest competitor.
6. Which track would you love to see added to the F1 game and why?
I would love to see the Nordschleife back in the F1 game. It is such a cool and long track with a lot of history in it so it would be cool if Codemasters would add it.
7. What other games do you enjoy playing?
I really enjoy playing iRacing and Rocket League besides F1. IRacing is the most realistic sim game there is at the moment and that makes it fun to play. Rocket League is always fun to play with friends.
8. What’s your proudest moment in Esports to date?
Finishing P2 in the F1 Esports Challengers PS4 standings.
9. Who’s your favourite streamer and/or racer?
F1: Jarno Opmeer or Josh Idowu; iRacing: Gianni Vecchio
10. Which artist would you love to see in concert?
A Dutch rapper. For example Boef or Josylvio. The concerts from Martin Garrix are normally quite cool too from what I have seen so it would be cool to have him in the concert.
11. If you won the lottery what is the first thing you’d buy?
12. If you could share a meal with any four individuals, living or dead, who would they be? And why?
Max Verstappen, because he is my idol so I would love to share a meal with him. Michael Schumacher, because he was one of the best in Formula 1 and I think he is a cool guy to share a meal with. Conor McGregor, because I love how he operates in life. The way he says and does things is so insane. And finally, Cristiano Ronaldo, because he is one of the best footballers in the world.
13. If you could ask Kimi one question, what would it be?
When are we going out for a drink? Would be amazing to have a drink with the Iceman himself.
14. If you could go to one place with Antonio where would you go?
To a pizzeria because he probably knows where you can eat the best pizzas.
15. Who would you want to play you in a movie of your life?
Before the F1 Esport season kicks off in October catch Thijmen in action on his Twitch and be sure to follow @sauberesports on socials for more upcoming content featuring him and the other recent signings!